Wednesday, May 11, 2011

puppets


I had another film project earlier in the year that never quite came to fruition. I made this puppets out of some fabric I had printed at spoonflower.com, and I built aluminum armatures on the inside. They're not the sturdiest puppets, but hopefully they have some character.
I absolutely love stop motion animation, though it's not my strong suit as a medium. (I had two awesome stop mo animators in my mentor group this year, Julia and Jen, and I loved watching their thesis films progress!).  I love designing and boarding for stop mo though, because it's such a hands on medium. It's like you have a little stage to set up.

5 comments:

Jen said...

These are great Ashlyn! I wish you would have brought them in to one of the meetings, would have liked to see them up close :]

Ashlyn said...

aw thanks jen! I always seemed to forget to bring them to school, because they are pretty delicate. hopefully the next ones I make will be sturdier!

TF said...

those are simply fantastic :)

And boy, do I know the feeling. Stop-motion is great, but really tricky. Still, if one is in a patient mood, then great things can be accomplished :)

Ashlyn said...

Yeah, I definitely think so! it's something that takes a lot of set up, but can be quicker to animate. Hopefully I can do something this summer with stopmo :)

Ian MacDonald said...

Those are awesome! Love the style with the lines and everything!